Would it excite you to get a chance to be part of Jeff Bezos’ leadership team at Amazon or Reed Hastings’ team at Netflix in the very early days, when their growth was starting to skyrocket, and they had to build a plane while flying it? It’s no overstatement to say that’s the opportunity presented here. Better Together is one of the fastest growing nonprofits in America and will quickly be in the top 5% in both revenue and impact.
Just like it was at Amazon and Netflix, that kind of growth is exciting, challenging, messy and incredibly rewarding. But it’s not for everyone. This is a unique opportunity for someone who will thrive in a highly entrepreneurial environment where each day is different, the CEO has no lack of great ideas, flexibility is as necessary as oxygen, and yet where the details must be right.
The Director of Marketing will need to build systems that don’t exist and create unique marketing tools and messaging that will create more engagement and quick growth with integrity, accuracy, and transparency.
But along with the talent to do these well, you need to love the mission of Better Together. Helping keep families intact and connecting people with life-changing jobs is not simple. It’s messy. Love, empathy, and patience are a necessity. You’ll need to understand the front lines in order to build the supply lines.
This is not just a job. It’s a calling. For the right person, it could be the chance of a lifetime.
CULTURE AND FIT
The people who consistently succeed at Better Together are those whose actions and behavior reflect our five core values. If you adhere to these values and answer “yes” to each of these questions, you may be a fit.
- Owner’s Mindset: You are invested in the outcomes of our mission.
- Are you a self-starter who is able to take initiative in order to complete a task?
- Do you often seek opportunities for professional growth?
- Choosing Gratitude: There are many things in life that can make us upset. Every day we have a choice to either be negative or give thanks.
- Do you often go out of your way to help others?
- Have you written a thank-you card in the last 30 days?
- Are you a positive person who is more focused on opportunities instead of obstacles?
- Love Others: We aim to love others like Christ loves us. Our hope is that our lives would be filled and overflowing with love, so that we can make a difference in this world.
- Do people often say you are a good listener?
- Do you make decisions based on what’s best for others over yourself?
- Do you often find yourself looking for ways to make others feel empowered, important and appreciated?
- Partnership-Oriented: Internal and external relationships are not transactional. That starts with our team members and the perspective that we need the rest of the team to succeed in order to win personally.
- Are you comfortable creating your own structure for work, such as setting work hours, your own priorities, and creating clarity and a work plan from a broad goal?
- Do you tend to be the one who initiates conversations with colleagues, rather than waiting for them to come to you?
- The Sky is the Limit: We have a big vision at Better Together. No one on our team is counting hours or widgets. We are here to get results, and sometimes that will require going the extra mile or doing a job that isn’t technically ours.
- Do you often set yourself audacious goals?
- Do you wholeheartedly agree with our principles, which include that people’s lives are made better through work and that we can and will end the foster care crisis?
The vast majority of those who don’t get hired (or don’t last) at Better Together lack a fit with these values. Be prepared to have very candid conversations about them in our interview process.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Director of Marketing will have three primary roles, broken down into key responsibilities. They are:
- Design and implement organizational marketing strategies with specific goals, audience and objective to measure progress against
- Identify key performance indicators (KPIs) and develop/advance goals for the organization’s marketing efforts as well as specific campaigns to ensure efforts reach, move and/or grow target audiences
- Oversee all Better Together marketing plans and projects to ensure quality, brand consistency and effectiveness
- Partner with other departments to identify needs and develop solutions for marketing workflows and process standards for product/campaign development.
- Generate innovative ideas to increase web traffic and ensure web best practices are met by leveraging staff training and other resources to improve search engine marketing
- Develop and deploy creative and persuasive marketing and advertising campaigns that drive brand awareness, audience engagement and acquisition. The role is responsible for audience development and growth across digital platforms.
- Advise on creative needs and identify new opportunities for product development and distribution to reach and persuade Better Together target audiences
- Oversee and contribute to the branding, messaging and testing that informs market collateral and content
- Oversee the staff responsible for the management, integration and smooth operation of Better Together digital platforms including website, social media accounts, and email marketing channels
- Oversee staff and vendors responsible for the organization’s social media accounts and paid media strategies
- Oversee staff and vendors responsible for development, security and day-to-day management of the Better Together website
- Oversee and advise on the collection and data quality related to marketing KPIs used for tracking and reporting purposes
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in marketing, communications or related field
- Minimum 7+ years’ experience in marketing with demonstrated success
- Minimum 3+ years’ supervisory experience, including management experience with creative teams
- Solid track record of successfully leading projects from initiation to completion on time, on budget and that achieves results
- Must live in Florida or be comfortable traveling to Florida monthly
- Technological requirements: Google Workspace, Basecamp, WordPress, Zapier, Salesforce and QuickBooks
- Match Better Together’s core values (described above)
TIMING, LOCATION AND COMPENSATION
Better Together seeks to fill this position as soon as possible. The organization’s headquarters are in Naples, Florida, but nearly all the Better Together staff work remotely. Better Together has built a highly successful remote work culture over the past decade with systems and structures designed for clarity, flexibility, and great communication. Key elements of the environment include:
- Weekly team meetings with clear accountability and the opportunity to solve issues as a team.
- Quarterly in-person team meetings at which you’ll build deeper relationships, set clear goals aligned with the Better Together vision, and brainstorm how to seize new opportunities
- An intensive 90-day orientation to familiarize you with the Better Together team, our policies, and how we operate
- Home office setup, including equipment and communication tools you need to hit the ground running
Better Together offers a competitive salary and benefits package, which includes a health benefit and generous paid leave plan. Please email a cover letter and resume to Hiring@bettertogetherus.org.