The Better Together team seeks a dynamic Tampa Bay Region Executive Director to oversee, support, and grow the Better Families program in the Tampa Bay region (Pinellas, Pasco and Hillsborough counties). He or she will lead the continued development of the Better Families program as well as spearhead its growth by cultivating and building new relationships with donors, community partners, volunteers and churches.
An ideal candidate will have a minimum of a bachelor’s degree in social work or another human service-related degree with at least three years of direct experience working with vulnerable children and families. A master’s in social work or another leadership or human services-related degree and 2-4 years’ experience in a leadership role is strongly preferred. They should feel called to minister to children and families in crisis and share our passion for keeping children out of foster care and families together. They should have demonstrated leadership, communication, organization, networking, coaching/training, and motivating volunteers and the community. He or she should be a self-starter who is comfortable working remotely and has a demonstrated ability to analyze problems and find creative solutions and thrives when challenged.
CULTURE & FIT
Success at Better Together depends not only on a person’s skills but also on their ability to fit the culture of Better Together. If you answer “yes” to all the following questions, you may be a fit for the team if your skill sets match the requirements below. The vast majority of those who don’t get hired or don’t last at Better Together is due to a lack of fit with these values, so they matter. Be prepared to have very candid conversations about them in our interview process.
- Are you detail-oriented and able to prioritize and manage multiple tasks at once?
- Are you a creative problem solver?
- Do you wholeheartedly agree that the church can end the foster care crisis?
- Do you have empathy and compassion for parents in crisis?
- Do you understand poverty and consider yourself culturally competent?
- Are you good at working as a team to solve problems? Do you believe that no job is beneath you, and are you willing to help others as needed and be a team player?
- Are you quick on your feet and able to work on a fast-paced team?
- Do you seize opportunities to try new things or improve a skill that’s relevant to your company or role?
- Are you able to build meaningful relationships (creating trust) with people you only see face-to-face a few times a month?
- Are you self-disciplined and able to work in a remote setting?
- Do you routinely find yourself appreciating the generosity and helpfulness of others?
- Are you self-aware of your weaknesses and limitations and striving to improve yourself?
- Do you strive to do your best at everything even when no one is reviewing it?
- Do you prioritize team success over individual recognition?
ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES
The Tampa Bay Region Executive Director will have four primary roles:
- Leadership, Metrics and Accountability
- Supervision and Support
- Donor Prospecting and Cultivation
- Church and Community Engagement
These roles break down into several responsibilities, including:
Leadership, Metrics and Accountability
- Responsible for the hiring and retention of qualified staff.
- Coaching, motivating and supporting team members.
- Meeting regional annual goals and metrics of success.
- Manage local regional budget.
- Strategic planning and problem solving.
- Data entry and reporting.
Supervision and Support
- Ensure that all Better Families policies and procedures are being implemented.
- Provide oversight and support of families being served.
- Oversight of volunteer screening and approval process.
- Accurate, complete, and timely submission of required reports.
- Must demonstrate sensitivity to our service population’s cultural and socioeconomic characteristics and needs.
- De-escalation and creative problem solving in high crisis situations.
- Stepping in, when staff are unavailable and being available to team members.
- On-call to team members.
Donor Prospecting and Cultivation
- Work closely with the development team on the fundraising strategic plan.
- Prospect, engage and cultivate donors.
- Engage and support the Tampa Bay region community board.
- Meet with donors and solicit funding support.
- Assist in planning and execution of annual fundraising event.
Church and Community Engagement
- Engage community partnerships that are an appropriate fit for Better Together and will help us achieve our mission.
- Public speaking and presentations.
- Meet regularly with local government officials, the Department of Children and Families, law enforcement and other first responder organizations to engage, collaborate and enhance those partnerships.
- Research, prospect and cultivate church partnerships.
TIMING, LOCATION & COMPENSATION
Better Together seeks to fill this position by March 1. The job is full-time and will require work in the evenings and on weekends. In addition, the Tampa Bay Region Executive Director will be on call to their team. Better Together is headquartered in Naples, Florida, but this position must live in Pinellas, Pasco or Hillsborough county. The team works remotely, which requires a home office. Although this is a remote job, the director will spend a majority of their time in the community. Better Together offers a very competitive salary and benefits, including an incredible culture with a dynamic team.
Email resume and cover letter to: Hiring@bettertogetherus.org.