The Better Together Team is seeking a Donor Relations Manager to oversee the organization’s efforts to build strong, lasting partnerships with financial supporters. This is an exciting opportunity for someone who loves to build systems and structures for the long-term, enjoys building long-term partnerships, and cares deeply about our mission.
The Donor Relations Manager will have full authority to create and manage Better Together’s cultivation and renewal strategy and process with the goal of increasing retention and average gift size. He or she will be able to put their best ideas to the test for how to cultivate strong relationships, keep donors engaged in Better Together’s work, and fine-tune a donor database to support relationship-building.
Unlike many development shops, cultivation management is not just a support role or focused solely on lower-level donors. It comes with ownership of an extremely important piece of the fundraising process and is focused on all levels of donors, with a special emphasis on the most important financial partners.
The Donor Relations Manager will not be responsible for making major gift asks or for Better Together’s prospecting efforts, but he or she will work hand-in-hand with Better Together’s CEO and set her up for success in key donor meetings.
An ideal candidate will have three to five years of relevant experience and a track record of successfully building long-term relationships with high capacity, generous philanthropists. They will be curious about what keeps people connected to an organization and thrive on the challenge of maintaining a consistent brand while creating interactions that surprise and delight supporters. He or she will be a good communicator in writing, on the phone, and in one-on-one meetings, and will enjoy meeting new people.
CULTURE & FIT
Success at Better Together depends not only on a person’s skills, but also on their ability to fit the culture of Better Together. If you answer “yes” to all the following questions, then you may be a fit for the team if your skill sets match the requirements below. The vast majority of those who don’t get hired or don’t last at Better Together are due to a lack of fit with these values, so they really matter. Be prepared to have very candid conversations about them in our interview process.
- Do you have strong administrative skills? Detailed oriented and able to prioritize and manage multiple tasks at once?
- Do you wholeheartedly agree with our mission and our belief that foster care is not always the best option for children and families (see Better Together website for a full description), and the true charity is a hand up and not a handout?
- Are you good at working as a team to solve a problem? That no job is beneath you and you are willing to help others as needed and be a team player?
- Are you good at “reading the room” whether in person or on the phone to adapt your communication style to work well with people of diverse backgrounds?
- Do you have strong written and verbal communication skills? Are you concise and articulate? Can you write strong letter’s, emails and copy edit as needed?
- Are you quick on your feet? Respectful and calm in stressful situations. Able to work on a fast-paced team?
- Do you tend to be the one who initiates conversations with colleagues, rather than waiting for them to come to you?
- Do you seize opportunities to try new things or improve a skill that’s relevant to your company or role?
- Are you able to build meaningful relationships (creating trust) with people you only see face-to-face a few times a year?
- Are you aware of your strengths and weaknesses, and do you have a practice of getting help from others to mitigate your weaknesses?
- Does it bother you if others take all the credit for the work you do?
- Are you okay with status quo? Or are you always trying to improve and do better?
ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES
The Donor Relations Manager will have four primary roles:
- Create and manage a renewal process (pipeline) for current donors
- Set up donor renewal meetings and prepare CEO and other Closer’s for successful conversations
- Ensure grantors get timely, accurate, and persuasive communications
- Create and manage thank-you and cultivation communications with donors
These roles break down into several responsibilities, including:
Renewal Process for Donors
- Create and manage process for tracking donor renewals, gifts and communications
- Develop customized cultivation plans for major donors
- Manage house file update and renewal processes for all donors
- Build relationships with major and mid-range donors
- Research and understand the proposal and reporting timelines and expectations for current grantors
Coordinating Key Donor Meetings
- Identify the giving cycles of donors and set up renewal meetings with major donors at the right time during the year
- Using research and your relationship, create briefing packets on donors to equip Better Together’s CEO to make a successful renewal ask of donors
- Follow-up on donor pledges or potential renewals
High Quality Grant Communications
- Tracking proposal and reporting timelines to ensure timely communications
- Working with expert writers and editors in Better Together to create persuasive grant proposals
Creating and Managing Thank-You and Cultivation Communications with Donors
- Oversee and run the donation intake and thank-you process
- Includes entering all donations into our Sales force database, writing acknowledge letters, thank you cards, calls and making bank deposits.
- Manage internal and/or external writers to produce emails, house file letters, thank you letters, renewal letters and other donor communications
TIMING, LOCATION, & COMPENSATION
Better Together is seeking to fill this position no later than July 1st, 2021. This is a full-time position, 9am-5pm with occasional evening and weekend events. Better Together is headquartered in Naples, Florida but this is a remote position. The candidate must live within an hour of drive time to the Naples office. Better Together offers salary and benefits that are very competitive, including a great culture with a dynamic team.
Email your cover letter and resume to Lora@bettertogetherus.org