Better Together works to end the root causes of poverty, dependency, divorce and child abuse by leveraging the power of the local church to provide struggling families with supportive relationships and meaningful work. Once properly supported, families can achieve independence, stay together and thrive.
The Better Together team seeks to hire an experienced Finance Director to be responsible for the accurate and timely financial management of the organization. They should have demonstrated leadership, communication and organization skills. He or she should be a self-starter who thrives when challenged and is comfortable working remotely and finding creative solutions.
CULTURE AND FIT
The people who consistently succeed at Better Together are those whose actions and behavior reflect our five core values. If you adhere to these values and answer “yes” to each of these questions, you may be a fit.
- Owner’s Mindset: You are invested in the outcomes of our mission.
- Are you a self-starter who takes initiative to complete a task?
- Do you often seek opportunities for professional growth?
- Choosing Gratitude: There are many things in life that can make us upset. Every day we have a choice to either be negative or give thanks.
- Do you often go out of your way to help others?
- Have you written a thank-you card in the last 30 days?
- Are you a positive person who is more focused on opportunities instead of obstacles?
- Love Others: We aim to love others like Christ loves us. Our hope is that our lives would be filled and overflowing with love, so that we can make a difference in this world.
- Do people often say you are a good listener?
- Do you make decisions based on what’s best for others over yourself?
- Do you often find yourself looking for ways to make others feel empowered, important and appreciated?
- Partnership-Oriented: Internal and external relationships are not transactional. That starts with our team members and the perspective that we need the rest of the team to succeed in order to win personally.
- Are you comfortable creating your own structure for work, such as setting work hours, your own priorities, and creating clarity and a work plan from a broad goal?
- Do you tend to be the one who initiates conversations with colleagues, rather than waiting for them to come to you?
- The Sky is the Limit: We have a big vision at Better Together. No one on our team is counting hours or widgets. We are here to get results, and sometimes that will require going the extra mile or doing a job that isn’t technically ours.
- Do you often set yourself audacious goals?
- Do you wholeheartedly agree with our principles, which include that people’s lives are made better through work and that the church can and will end the foster care crisis?
The vast majority of those who don’t get hired (or don’t last) at Better Together lack a fit with these values. Be prepared to have very candid conversations about them in our interview process.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Finance Director will have the following key responsibilities:
- Develop internal controls, guidelines, policies, and procedures for budget, accounting, cash and credit management
- Coordinate and direct budgeting, accounting, investment, and financial planning functions
- Ensure compliance with state and federal regulatory requirements and professional standards
- Prepare and present financial reports and risk analysis
- Create budgets and forecasts
- Manage grant and funder budgets and reporting
- Manage receipts and supporting documentation
- Manage the administration and finance functions of outsourced vendors and contractors
- Facilitate the audit and preparation of Form 990. Analyze audit reports and formulate improvements to departmental operations, policies and procedures.
- Develop financial and operational procedures and systems to support and track grant requests, grant applications and reporting
- Oversee the management of the CRM system for gift processing and donor tracking
- Guide financial decisions by establishing, monitoring, and enforcing policies and procedures
- Provide support to executive directors with budget and financial matters
- Create reports that help leadership understand company financials
- Contribute to other administration tasks as needed
- Bachelor’s degree in business, accounting, finance, or related field
- Must have a minimum of 5 years’ experience in accounting or related field
- Match Better Together’s core values (described above)
- Must live in Florida.
TIMING, LOCATION & COMPENSATION
Better Together seeks to fill this position as soon as possible. While Better Together headquarters are in Naples, Florida, nearly all the staff work remotely. Better Together has built a highly successful remote work culture over the past decade with systems and structures designed for clarity, flexibility, and great communication. Key elements of the environment include:
- Weekly team meetings with clear accountability and the opportunity to solve issues as a team.
- Quarterly in-person team meetings at which you’ll build deeper relationships, set clear goals aligned with Better Together’s big vision, and brainstorm how to seize new opportunities
- An intensive 90-day orientation to familiarize you with the Better Together team, policies, technologies, and how we operate. Technologies currently include Google Workspace, Gusto, Bill.com, Basecamp, Salesforce and QuickBooks
- Home office setup, including equipment and communication tools you need to hit the ground running.
Better Together offers a competitive salary and benefits package, which includes a health benefit and generous paid leave plan.
To apply, please email cover letter and resume to email@example.com.