Better Together works to end the root causes of poverty, dependency, divorce and child abuse by leveraging the power of the local church to provide struggling families with supportive relationships and meaningful work. Once properly supported, families can achieve independence, stay together and thrive.
Better Jobs, a ministry of Better Together, is a program designed to be delivered through local churches to help their community find hope and dignity through employment. Better Jobs trains, equips and supports churches in establishing, maintaining and growing this employment ministry in their local community.
Better Together is investing in building out technology solutions to make churches more successful in their mission while helping to scale the impact of Better Jobs to provide over 100,000 jobs over the next five years.
Better Together is looking for a Better Jobs Director to create strategy and help innovate our Better Jobs program. They will help lead and grow the program in Florida and across the United States. He or she will spearhead the growth of the program by creating strategy and scaling the Better Jobs program to result in attracting new partnerships with employers, community partners and churches and result in a greater impact.
This is a great opportunity to own both the strategy and execution of an effective program by creating awareness and creating new systems and program innovations that result in alleviating poverty and keeping families together.
The ideal candidate should have hands-on experience as a director working in an agile environment. They should have demonstrated leadership, communication, organization and networking skills. He or she should be a self-starter who thrives when challenged and is comfortable working remotely, has a demonstrated ability to deal with ambiguity, analyze programs and find creative solutions.
CULTURE AND FIT
The people who consistently succeed at Better Together are those whose actions and behavior reflect our five core values. If you adhere to these values and answer “yes” to each of these questions, you may be a fit.
- Owner’s Mindset: You are invested in the outcomes of our mission.
- Are you a self-starter who takes initiative to complete a task?
- Do you often seek opportunities for professional growth?
- Choosing Gratitude: There are many things in life that can make us upset. Every day we have a choice to either be negative or give thanks.
- Do you often go out of your way to help others?
- Have you written a thank-you card in the last 30 days?
- Are you a positive person who is more focused on opportunities instead of obstacles?
- Love Others: We aim to love others like Christ loves us. Our hope is that our lives would be filled and overflowing with love, so that we can make a difference in this world.
- Do people often say you are a good listener?
- Do you make decisions based on what’s best for others over yourself?
- Do you often find yourself looking for ways to make others feel empowered, important and appreciated?
- Partnership-Oriented: Internal and external relationships are not transactional. That starts with our team members and the perspective that we need the rest of the team to succeed in order to win personally.
- Are you comfortable creating your own structure for work, such as setting work hours, your own priorities, and creating clarity and a work plan from a broad goal?
- Do you tend to be the one who initiates conversations with colleagues, rather than waiting for them to come to you?
- The Sky is the Limit: We have a big vision at Better Together. No one on our team is counting hours or widgets. We are here to get results, and sometimes that will require going the extra mile or doing a job that isn’t technically ours.
- Do you often set yourself audacious goals?
- Do you wholeheartedly agree with our principles, which include that people’s lives are made better through work and that the church can and will end the foster care crisis?
The vast majority of those who don’t get hired (or don’t last) at Better Together lack a fit with these values. Be prepared to have very candid conversations about them in our interview process.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Better Jobs Director will have four primary roles, broken down into key responsibilities. They are:
Leadership, Metrics and Accountability
- Attract, recruit and retain top talent
- Foster a success-oriented, accountable environment
- Oversee performance and KPI management
- Conduct data analysis and reporting
- Scale Better Jobs
Program Strategy and Innovation
- Innovate and improve church training and resources
- Optimize business workflows for greater productivity and results
- Implement program strategy and successful scale of Better Jobs program
- Enhance systems and processes
Engaging and Nurturing Key Partnerships
- Close key Better Jobs partnerships
- Elicit effective program engagement
- Nurture the Better Jobs journeys of key partners
Speaking and Presentations
- Conduct program education and advocacy
- Network and attend conferences
- Make program presentations
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in management
- Proven track record of scale and growth of a program
- Proven track record of program results
- Knowledge and expertise in employment-related issues
- Match Better Together’s core values (described above)
TIMING, LOCATION & COMPENSATION
Better Together seeks to fill this position as soon as possible. While Better Together headquarters are in Naples, Florida, nearly all the staff work remotely. Better Together has built a highly successful remote work culture over the past decade with systems and structures designed for clarity, flexibility, and great communication. Key elements of the environment include:
- Weekly team meetings with clear accountability and the opportunity to solve issues as a team.
- Quarterly in-person team meetings at which you’ll build deeper relationships, set clear goals aligned with Better Together’s big vision, and brainstorm how to seize new opportunities
- An intensive 90-day orientation to familiarize you with the Better Together team, policies, technologies, and how we operate. Technologies currently include Google Workspace, Gusto, Bill.com, Basecamp, Salesforce and QuickBooks
- Home office setup, including equipment and communication tools you need to hit the ground running.
Better Together offers a competitive salary and benefits package, which includes a health benefit and generous paid leave plan.
To apply, please email cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.